LeSS Scrum Master David Nielsen and I have discussed system dynamics in complex organizational settings, with respect to Velocity, produced by a single team and/or multiple teams. We did only one cut (no dress rehearsals, dry runs or editing).
The following system variables were identified and their cause & effect relationship was ‘unpacked’:
- Ability to use Velocity as a metric
- Degree, to which combined velocity from multiple teams can be used as a measurement
- Effectiveness of team’s estimation techniques
- Likelihood that Customer/Product-centric development is valued, by business and the whole organization
- Dependency on traditional organizational structure and protection of a status quo of component managers
- Dependency on complex frameworks, processes
- Degree of measurement dysfunction
As well as a few helpful proxy-variables to ‘glue’ the model together.